Categorized | Sports

Fort Macleod Volleyball Club tournament supports STARS

Mike Bourassa

Organizers of an adult co-ed volleyball tournament in Fort Macleod have a unique plan to mark the event’s 10th anniversary.
They want to sponsor one mission by STARS air ambulance.
“That’s what we’re aiming at,” said Mike Bourassa of the Fort Macleod Volleyball Club.
STARS has been the beneficiary of the funds raised since the inception of the tournament at F.P. Walshe school.
The tournament has raised up to $3,000 a year for STARS, so sponsoring a mission is an ambitious target.
“We’re going to go that route this year,” Bourassa said. “This is more of a personal touch.”
STARS is offering people the chance to sponsor one mission by the air ambulance. Cost of the average 90-minute mission is $5,400.
Twenty-four teams will compete in three categories in the co-ed tournament.
Eight teams are allowed in each of the recreation, intermediate and competitive divisions, and the spots are filling quickly.
“We’ve already been getting teams in,” Bourassa said. “I think we’re going to have a good turnout this year.”
In 2010 STARS presented the Fort Macleod Volleyball Club with a Volunteer Spirit Award during a dinner at the Lethbridge Seniors Centre.
The volleyball club’s tournament in nine years has raised more than $24,000 for STARS.
“STARS is something you hopefully will never need, but it’s there if you do,” Bourassa said.
About 25 per cent of STARS’ mission costs is funded by Alberta Health Services. The remaining 75 per cent comes from STARS fund-raising and community partnerships.
Businesses in Fort Macleod and district have been strong supporters of the tournament, providing cash donations to help STARS and helping in other ways.
The Queen’s Hotel hosts the tournament’s beer garden, and Macleod Feed Mill pays the registration fee so a team of players from F.P. Walshe school can take part.
Teams of up to eight players pay a $320 registration fee that guarantees them three matches and admission to the tournament dinner and dance and beer gardens.
The recreational division is open to players aged 25 years and over. Current college and university players are not allowed.
The intermediate division is open to players aged 20 years and over. Current college and university players are not allowed.
The competitive division is open to anyone 18 years and over.
Teams can have up to eight players, with at least three women.
The Saturday night banquet and dance at Fort Macleod and District Community Hall will have an added feature this year with a performance by hypnotist Trevor Kiitokii.
Long-time donors will also be offered free tickets to the dinner.
Registration can be sent to Mike Bourassa at P.O. Box 1083, Fort Macleod, T0L 0Z0.
For more information, or to make a cash donation, contact Mike Bourassa at 403-330-3546 or 403-553-2025 or abourass@telusplanet.net.
Any community group or individuals willing to handle clean-up following the dinner and dance in return for a fee should contact club secretary Candice Dawson at 403-330-9320.

Comments are closed.

Subscribe Online

Other Stories in this Category


Photo Albums – what’s new

Coed Slowpitch League tournament held its playoff tournament Aug. 23-24

Poll

Fort Macleod Kids First Family Centre has lots to offer. Have you taken part in any programs?