Categorized | Sports

Southwest United claims consolation title

United rugby team photo

Southwest United claimed the consolation title at the weekend high school boys rugby provincial tournament at Calgary.
United was ranked sixth heading into the weekend which matched them up against Robert Thirsk high school from Calgary in the first game on Friday.
Robert Thirsk was ranked third heading into the tournament.
Robert Thirsk dominated in the first half of the game, shutting out United and scoring 14 points.
United bounced back in the second half, holding Robert Thirsk’s offence at bay.
Jason Creighton scored for United, but that was all the offence the team could muster as it fell 14-5 and was knocked out of medal contention.
United faced off against Hunting Hills from Red Deer in their second game on Friday at Calgary Rugby Union.
Tason Perry opened the scoring for United, with Marshall Clarke converting the try.
Hunting Hills evened the scoring soon after.
It took until the second half before Bauke Holwerda ran the ball down the sideline and cut back inside to beat the defenders for United’s second try.
Clarke converted the try to give United a seven-point lead.
Diego Heredia pitched in with a try to close out the game and propel United to a 19-5 victory.
With the win United faced off against St. Joseph high school on Saturday for the consolation final.
The consolation final was a back-and-forth effort from both teams.
St. Joseph’s opened the scoring early, but Holwerda evened the score at five apiece.
Nick Anderson scored for United and Tason Perry quickly followed with another try.
St. Joseph responded immediately with a try of their own and converted the kick.
St. Joseph added another try to pull ahead 17-15 before the start of the second half.
St. Joseph carried their momentum to start the second half, scoring another try, but Creighton bodied his way through defenders for a try.
United carried on with Alex Sommerfeldt scorching past defenders on the wing, with Marshall Clarke converting the kick.
St. Joseph evened the score, but Ethan Perry put United ahead, juking through three defenders to score a try.
United tried to close out the game, but St. Joseph exposed United’s defence on an overlap for the final play of the game.
With the game tied at 32-32 the game went to drop goals.
Both teams selected three players who alternated kicking drop kicks from 15 meters out.
Whoever made the most kicks would win the game.
Ethan Perry calmly put his kick right down the middle, and St. Joseph’s fist kicker missed.
Diego Heredia was up next for United, but just missed.
St. Joseph’s second kicker slotted it right down the middle.
Alex Sommerfeldt was the final kicker for United, and he casually put it through the uprights.
St. Joseph needed to make their final kick to continue the drop goals, but their kicker failed to convert.
United was awarded with the consolation final plaque, finishing fifth in the province.

Tags |

Comments are closed.