Categorized | News

Two charged following Granum standoff

The RCMP emergency response team was called to the scene. Photo by Gabriel Potter

Police seized $120,000 in stolen property and charged two people following an eight-hour standoff March 16 at Granum.

Police blocked Granum streets near the house where the standoff occurred. Photo by Gabriel Potter

Lethbridge Police Service priority crimes unit and crime suppression team, with assistance from the Blood Tribe Police and Fort Macleod RCMP, were investigating people involved with multiple motor vehicle thefts and break-and-enters in southern Alberta.

Lethbridge Police attended a residence in Granum just after 2:15 p.m. March 16.

One suspect was arrested in the vicinity shortly afterwards.

The wanted male was believed to be barricaded in the residence and possibly armed.

Residents in the area were urged to shelter inside their residences, and to stay away from windows.

Officers watch as the RCMP emergency response team approaches the house. Photo by Gabriel Potter

The RCMP emergency response team was called to assist.

Police used a drone for surveillance.

According to the RCMP, members of the emergency response team entered the residence about 9:50 p.m. and two adult males were taken into custody without incident.

The man who was the subject of the arrest warrant was one of the males arrested.

The other man was found to have an outstanding warrant.

Police did not locate a weapon.

Lethbridge Police did locate multiple weapons, including firearms, from one of the stolen vehicles.

Police officers discuss tactics with a member of the RCMP emergency response team. Photo by Gabriel Potter

The vehicles recovered had been stolen from communities from Calgary to Lethbridge.

Nicholas Scout, 36, of Lethbridge, is charged with: three counts of possession of stolen property over $5,000; three counts of possession of stolen property under $5,000; theft under $5,000; break-and-enter to commit theft; six counts of failing to comply with a release order conditions; and driving while disqualified.

Scout was remanded in custody and ordered to appear in provincial court.

Tila Scout, 29, of Lethbridge, has been charged with: two counts of possession of stolen property over $5,000; break-and-enter to commit theft; and resisting arrest. She was released from custody to appear in court April 12.

Although they share the same last name, the two are not related.

Subscribe Online Current Edition

Explore Spectacular Southwest Alberta (PDF)

2021 Explore Southwest Alberta magazine cover